Let me be honest, I was not a fan of coleslaw. Most recipes I have tried have a strong vinegar taste, which I am not a fan of.
One day while grilling, the hubby says, “Let’s make some coleslaw to go with the BBQ!” (I may have responded with an eye roll!)
I faced this challenge head-on to make a recipe I would love. While digging deep into my Google search results, I found a recipe that looked simple enough, so I dove in with high-hopes! FAIL! All I could taste was vinegar!
So I decided to take a new approach! Make it MY way! I made it again, and again until finally, I created the perfect recipe! I can now say that coleslaw is one of my favorite sides – my recipe anyway!
MY coleslaw consists of shredded cabbage & carrots, and a sweet dressing with a Cajun kick!
It literally goes with almost everything. My favorite way to eat coleslaw is in a sandwich with pulled pork!
Now I’m hungry!!!
So, if you love coleslaw, this recipe is for you. It is super easy to prepare, but do plan ahead because it needs at least 3-4 hours for refrigeration.
Sweet Coleslaw with a Kick of Cajun
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp White Sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tbsp Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cajun Seasoning - add more or less depending on your spice level
- 1 pkg Coleslaw Mix
- Gather all the ingredients.
- In a medium bowl whisk together mayonnaise, sugar, lemon juice, vinegar, pepper, salt and cajun seasoning until well blended.
- Add the package of coleslaw mix and stir until well coated.
- I prefer to use a glass bowl with a lid! I like to shake it, which helps to make sure it is well coated! It is then ready to serve, although I like to make mine 3-4 hours before and let it chill in the refrigerator.
This post contains affiliate links.